Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Summer Solstice Commitments to Practice

Happy Summer Solstice to all!!
Wednesday seems to be my blogging day now, thanks to Jamie Ridler. 

I may yet again reach a day when my posts consist of more than simply answering Jamie's Wishcasting Wednesday query. 

But for now, this is it.  I have many ideas brewing, it just seems to be pinning down the time to tackle them!

Today, the question is, "What do you wish for this summer?"

Although I will be working part-time throughout the summer, there are many things I wish to accomplish.

Mainly because the end of this summer marks the end of much of my free time.
I will be starting a full-time job in September!!  I am very excited about this new opportunity.
I am also trying not to panic at said loss of free time.

So, I believe the most important thing for me to do is to become more efficient with my time and I plan on doing this over the summer by creating some schedules, menu plans and routines to ease the transition for myself and my family.

I also have two weekdays off each week this summer and so I plan to make the most of those by spending precious time with my little girl, doing the things that she wants to be doing. 

This I know, will consist of much time
~swimming in the river
~a trip to Canada's Wonderland
~the Toronto Science Centre
~and the ROM 

Fortunately, these are things that I am totally into doing as well.
Especially the many days we will spend at the river :-)

Blogger friend Christine Reed who writes Girl On Fire and Monkey Brains  prompted me today as well, with this question:

"We are in the new moon (June's moon is the Strawberry moon) AND at the Summer Solstice. Seems like an auspicious time to commit to a new practice of growth and exploration. ♥ ♥ ♥ What practice do you need in your life?"

The answer to this question is simple, although not new.

Music.

Again and again and again.
I keep needing to pull myself back to what I love.


Blogger friend Pauline at journal illustrations reminded me today that:

"Habit is about baby steps"
And she is right.  That's why I'm starting small.  I'm committing to starting out with:

10 minutes each morning of guitar/singing practice
(Why do I forget again and again how joyful this makes me?)

Also, reconnecting with my morning pages practice as that always encourages me to practice my passions.  However, I'm going to be an "Artist's Way" Rebel and only do 10 minutes (gasp!)

And one more habit is to move this body, through 10 minutes of walking or yoga which provides me with the energy necessary to fulfill my main practice of growth and exploration.  Which of course is:
finding Joy through Music!

Time to renew my vows to "Commit".  It is still, afterall, my word of the year!  Oh how quickly I forget!!

What do you wish for this summer?

11 comments:

pauline said...

oh YAY!!! You are on your way to awesomeness, baby! :-) So happy that you're looking at creating such wonderful habits. I know you can do this. And i'm willing to bet that the 10 min. of making music will quickly evolve into 20 or 30 minutes, and you'll love every minute of it. Thanks for sharing, girl. xoxo

Kate ~ Truth Freedom Love said...

I also want to get into a regular practice with my guitar - I love playing it and would love it so much more if I were actually good at it ;)

As you wish for yourself, so do I wish for you.

Sunfire said...

Grats on getting a full time job - definitely enjoy every extra moment you have now, then.

As you wish for yourself, so I wish for you as well.
~Sunfire

Marian Ostrowski said...

You made me think! I haven't gotten to my email yet, but I also read Girl on Fire and Monkey Brains--Love her!!! As you wish for yourself, so I wish for you.

Lisa K said...

Great post...yes, schedules and habits and taking everything bit by bit.

Have a magnificent productive summer.
As you wish, I also wish for you! :)

Unknown said...

As you wish I too wish with you.

Lilyweeds at Augusta Kent Studio said...

Fantastic! As Carrie wishes for herself, so I wish for her also. ~diana

Morghán said...

Swimming in the river sounds great! Love the wishes! As you wish for yourself, so I wish for you also.

Paula - Buenos Aires said...

Totally in love with your word for the year. I have my first contender for 2013. :D
Joyful practices, all of them.
As Carrie wishes for herself, so I wish for her also.

pauline said...

hey girl! Just thought i'd send you a quick note to let you know your name is in the draw for Scuba girl. :-) You're not too late. I draw tonight. Ah yes... river. i can see what that would be a good reason to live somewhere. xoxo

karmacoy said...

Thank you all for the wishes and kind comments. I don't know what happened, but once I made that commitment to practice, I seemed to stop blogging!! I guess sometimes some things fall away to make room for others!

I have been practicing my commitments though!!

I even played 2 songs at an open mic night in July, with plans to play again next week!